Logo

1998 Nissan NSF5A Long Shaft

riggert6h

Replaced impeller last year about mid season and motor worked fine. Went out about 4 times this year with no problem. Now there is no water coming out of small hole at bottom of engine. Pulled lower unit and check impeller and it looked fine. Used compressed air and blew out water tube. Reassembled and started engine. Still no water coming out. Could there be blockage inside the motor ? How close are the tolerances for impeller ? Should I replace the cup around the impeller ?
Thanks for any advice.

I never replace just the impeller; I always do a complete wp kit. Pumps better and lasts longer.
I believe you will find debris in the telltale outlet. To clear, a stiff weedwhacker line or wire while the motor is running should help. Or compressed air blowing back into the telltale.

Acquired a flushing adapter and installed. As soon as I turned it on water came out of telltale outlet. Disconnected and replaced with original bolt ran motor in tub of water to verify. Also have ordered complete wp kit and will install at end of season.

OK, so it was a minor blockage. Not uncommon on these. I hate that telltale casting. In my shop, when they stop up, I blow compressed air in while the motor is idling... until I see bubbles out of the prop. They will often re-clog soon if anything is in the water at all.

Back