Logo

15 HP 4 Stroke Loosing Power

Bob in Tennessee

Contributing Member
I have a new 4 Stroke purchased this past winter and the last several times out it is stalling at full throttle. It runs fine at 3/4 throttle but when I try to open it up it will surge like a fuel starvation issue in a carburetor engine. This unit was carefully broken in over several fishing trips and it is fuel injected.
any thoughts?
thanks

Is the gas tank vent cap open? That's what happened to me. I had the same problem all the time when it was new. Not sure why it stopped happening, but one time, for sure, it was the unvented tank. I have a 2017.

No i have not. I used the motor Saturday for a very brief time and did not go to full throttle. It runes fine at 3/4 throttle just starts to bog down at full throttle.

No i have not. I used the motor Saturday for a very brief time and did not go to full throttle. It runes fine at 3/4 throttle just starts to bog down at full throttle.

Sorry to hear that. Re: bog down... Guessing I have a different problem on my 2002 DF115; I can run fine up to about 4000 RPM, and then it seems to be starving after that. I think mine is a problem with a component in the fuel vapor separation tank (high pressure pump, float/needle valve, or suction filter).

I tend to equate bogging down with too much fuel / air starvation. Not sure if the little motors have an air filter, but if so, I'd probably pull that as a test to see if the thing breathes better.

Good luck,
Doug

Back