Logo

Yamaha 20hp 4-stroke - No spark!

bigtime_mcalpine

Regular Contributor
Hi gang,
I'm looking for some opinions on what part is the likely cause of this non-starter.

It's a 2010 Yammy model F20MLHF pull start.

Here's what I've done so far:

- Pulled on cord until shoulder was sore (turns over but doesn't spark)
- Verified fuel is getting to carb
- Verified fuel pump is...pumping
- Have not been able to get spark: pulled plugs, grounded them, no signs of spark.
- Replaced plugs...still no spark
- Sprayed starter fluid directly in cylinders...no reaction
- Verified continuity of coils - result was consist with similar coils on a suzuki right next to it
- disconnect kill switch at harness, testing kill switch for continuity pull safety catch on and safety catch off...passed

Operators from last summer (sailing instructors) reported misfires throughout season.

All of above leads me to believe an electrical issue. In my mind, throwing a new CDI unit at this thing is possible next step. Local Yamaha dealer suggested first inspecting stator and regulator/rectifier.

What do you guys think?
-

I think that some trouble shooting is in order.

Why are you messing with the fuel system if there is no spark from the plugs?

Throwing a CDI unit at the motor is throwing parts at a problem. Expensive parts. Good way to wind up with a perfectly good spare CDI.

Rectifier/regulator has nothing to do with the ignition system. Maybe find another Yamaha dealer.

Have you verified that the pulser coil output is correct? And that there is good connectivity from the pulser coil to the CDI?

Have you verified that the charge coil output is correct? And there there is good connectivity from the charge coil to the CDI?

Have you verified that the ignition coil is outputting voltage to the spark plugs upon input of voltage to the ignition coil?

Alright, alright you guys are calling me out for the part changer that I am. Thanks for this. I’m frustrated that I don’t have the tools to take on a bit more troubleshooting here. At this point all I’ve got is my $10 knock-off multimeter and some amount of common sense. Fellow at the local evinrude dealer suggested he might have a used CDI I could borrow to validate issue. I’m not fixated on the CDI but it would be nice to rule it out - especially without a chas outlay!
are there cost effective voltage tester so could get I I were to engage in further electrical troubleshooting that someone can recommend?

Do you have the applicable Yamaha service manual?

Of all the stuff that can go wrong, the CDI is the least likely to fail.

Back