Logo

Starting problem 2004 Honda 115

Kokaneefisher

Out fishing this last weekend and had to run up lake a ways. Fished for a period of time 15 to 20 minutes and then decided to run up a little further then spent another hour fishing. At this point the 115 would not start. The engine would crank over and the starter would turn but it would not fire. I let it sit for about 20 minutes tried it again and it fired up and ran. Then a little while later a similar occurrence. In both cases I noticed that when it would not start the engine light and battery light did not come on and I did not get the normal two beeps that lets you know that the ignition key has been turned on. Ran back to the dock and while sitting there idling waiting for a spot to tie up it kept dying after two or three minutes at idle but would restart. This 115 Honda has 230 hours on it and to this point has performed flawlessly. Any advice on troubleshooting or repair would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Sounds electrical and you should start with the basic of basics.
Meaning:

Clean and tighten as many connections as you can get to and have the expertise for.
Since the engine cranks ok it might not be the battery but take it out and have it tested anyway. You can then clean the terminals and cable ends before tightening them back up.

This kinda, sorta favors a loose connection at the ignition switch or the wiring to the controls. Again, don't tear into anything that you're not comfortable with but most of this stuff isn't all that complicated. You can surely check the fuse block and wires at the very least.

If you trailer the boat then run the engine on the muffs or in a trashcan and start wiggling and tapping things GENTLY to see if you can duplicate the problem. Start at the control box and dash area then go under the hood and try the same at the CDI.

If you get lucky, the cleaning and tightening of connections might get her fixed up.

Intermittent electrical problems can be very frustrating and sometimes hard to find but 97% of the time it turns out to be something really simple.

Hopefully someone else here has some more and better suggestions for you.

Good luck!

Thanks, i hadn't thought of just a switch problem. Will check first. Be nice if that simple.
Not overheating fairly new impeller and water pump working well.

Back