Logo

Mercruiser stern drive

Newman66

Have a problem with my stern drive tilt and trim. I blew left side ram which i replaced. The problem now is i can only get the leg to go up. It will go down if someone stands on it. I did this a few times with the help of a friend but it still wont lower on its own how can i fix this or what is the cause thanks in advance

Remove replaced trim ram from drive (leave hydraulic lines connected) and retry.

Report results.

Did what was suggested unhook rams from leg. Rams will extend but wont retract. Starting to think rebuild the rams??

I actually suggested you unhook only the one you replaced. Not both. This would allow you to see if one raised and lowered the drive and if the other did not.

You do not fix valving, you replace the whole pump assembly. They are plentiful and relatively inexpensive.

what year is boat and what does pump assembly look like? Does it have a plastic reservoir?

I did also remove the lines and test for flow and there is flow out of all the hoses... don't know if that makes any difference

If your boat is a 1998 the that is the wrong pump assembly.
Merc has been using the current pump since at least 1986....

Thats your first problem.

MerCruiser-trim-pump-865380A25.JPG

this what it should look like,

Also if I remember correctly the pump produces over 1000 psi of pressure for up and around 600 psi for down

Last edited:
Hmmm was working fine before ram failed,..I noticed the good ram will suck back in when lines are removed and one hole for the lines is covered this is not the case for the new ram...It just stays out no matter what you do

Back