Logo

35 HP Merc out of service 15 years

jimconyers

Two issues right off the bat. The steering is frozen solid. Wheel won't budge, can't move the motor by hand. Second, I took the motor saver off to see if i could move the motor right/left...no luck there BUT the motor drifted down to vertical and now I CANNOT pick it back up to replace the motor saver.
Help?

The shifter seems ok but I still can't pick up the motor after shifting int F or R. Not a covid special exactly. I retired 15 years ago, brought my boat/motor/trailer down here, got busy in retirement and there it sat until I decided to replace the rotted casting decks. Seem there are more problems than rotted plywood. All help appreciated.

I see but I shifted it into forward 2-3 times trying to lift the motor manually each time and it didn't release. Is there a work around to release the lock on the tilt function? The batteries are 15 years dead of course. I probably should just get a fresh battery and see if the tilt/trim works. duh. I'll check back. Thanks.

I haven't gotten the hang of this forum so bear with the newbie. I found my wiring chewed up so I can't troubleshoot the tilt/trim system until I fix that. Sooo...is there a workaround to allow me to raise the motor manually? As is with the motor down I can't even trailer it in if I need a pro to take over.
Also, any thoughts on the frozen steering? And thanks Racerone.

My tilt/trim has a hydraulic cylinder on each side of the motor. There are two allen screws on each cylinder. Could this be the hydraulic pressure release valves? Which one(s)?

Those might just be shocks (you didn't include motor ID info). If so, the tilt tube may also be frozen up.

The frozen steering usually requires removal of the motor so the steering area can be heated with a torch to unfreeze the grease (after which it's re-lubed). Ditto the tilt tube.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff. Found the release valve on the tilt trim motor/pump in the forward part of the bilge. I can raise/lower the motor by hand now. Next up...frozen steering.

I guess I wasn't clear in my first post. After removing the transom saver the motor drifted to vertical and then I couldn't budge it. Couldn't locate the release valve (finally did). Wiring has been rat-chewed to pieces so no power to anything so raising the motor had to be manual.

Back