Logo

FUEL PUMP orafices: 3/8" vs 5/16" 1996 FORCE 75hp

FUEL PUMP orafices: 3/8" vs 5/16" 1996 FORCE 75hp

I know 115hp and smaller require only a 5/16" fuel line. I have replaced almost every part I can on my 1996 FORCE 75hp outside of any MAJOR powerblock rebuilds.

Next up is figuring out my fuel pump. Outboard is now running about 85% decent. BEST in years!!!! I replaced ALL my fuel hoses w/ 3/8" per Frank Acampora, Force outboard guru, comment in one of his FORCE videos "3/8" IS better! So there! lol ~

Do they manufacture a replacement 3/8" Fuel Pump that will fit the 1996 FORCE 75hp? Or am I stuck with just tightening up the SS worm clamps for my new 3/8" fuel line to clamp on to the oem 5/16" fuel pump?
If so, sources would be appreciated!

Orginal issue was "idle issues" so I jumped in head first and learned all about this antique! So excited to have it running very good now! Now on to fine tune this relic!

Last edited:
FrankA knew his stuff!!
75 came with Mercury pumps and the hose requirements weren't all that big.
Force's came with 1/4" hose and when they started using Mercury pumps they used 5/16"
The 225 Mercury used the same pump style.

If you can't get past 85% I doubt the fuel line is the problem?
I'd look at the prop, or the way the T@T is working?

... thanks! I think the 100% would come via installng a manual jack plate to
be able to adjust the outboard lower unit/prop at the best operating depth possible!
Looking for that sweet spot! Engine is running GREAT! I still want to rebuild the
fuel pump b/c I've already replaced/upgraded all the other easily accessible parts.

With this outboard installed as it is now I have the ortiginal dia/pitch specs
and played w/the tilt/trim and best I can do is ~4700rpm WOT.

Back