Logo

2000 Johnson 115hp Compression on 1 Cylinder

MikeCas

Need some advice. Was having issues with starting/running my 2000 115 after winter, mechanic said there was water in fuel and he took care of that, started right up. However I have 140 psi in 3 cylinders and 100 psi in 1 cylinder. He suggested rebuilding or replacing motor. Realistically although there is about 29% difference, it is worth the cost 3-4 k or should the motor be ok for one more fishing summer? The boat is older (1988)

I would pull the cylinder head to have a look in there.------Your location ?----If cylinder / piston are scored find out why.----I know how to put a new piston in that motor.----That is what I would do.

Last edited:
When was water pump impeller replaced ?----And if a carburetor is restricted there will be a reduction in amount of oil going into a cylinder.----These 2 strokes are wonderful machines , but if neglected they will give you trouble.------Fuel injected 4 strokes are popular with the public as all you do is push a button.----ECU does all the work for you.

Don't know, only have had it 2 seasons, carbs were rebuilt 1st year i owned it, nothing else really but new plugs and fogged, water pump really spits out a nice strong stream.

So what you think racerone? Just your expert opinion, believe me i won't hold you to it:eek:...Think I'll be ok for a short season? I never run the boat, long, hard or very far.

I’ve learned over the years that most outboard mechanics suck. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve had mechanics look at a motor and suggest to buy this or that and thousands of dollars later it would still have the same problem.

At this point my left nut is a mechanic. You could buy a used running 2 stroke for $1k with good compression. I live in south FL and they are everywhere. If the motor looks like it was maintained chances are it was

I’ve learned over the years that most outboard mechanics suck. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve had mechanics look at a motor and suggest to buy this or that and thousands of dollars later it would still have the same problem.

At this point my left nut is a mechanic. You could buy a used running 2 stroke for $1k with good compression. I live in south FL and they are everywhere. If the motor looks like it was maintained chances are it was

LOL-Very true, they wanted 3-4 grand to machine the head, when i asked if it was "scored" they said the did not know.

Back