Logo

BF 225 fuel starvation maybe?

Lucky Catch

I have twin BF225s. One of the motors keeps stalling. It’s like it is running out of fuel. Usually happens over 2000 rpm and seems like it happens when “going over a bump” wave wake etc. I have changed all filters including the high pressure filter. Also replaced the primer bulb and associated fuel line. I did notice the low pressure fuel filter is not “full”. However the other motor is the same. I have ruled out any issues with the tank and lines from the tank as I have run the motor on the other fuel tank and had the same problem.

Unless anyone has any other ideas, my next step is to tear the VST off, clean it, replace the needle and seat on the float in the VST

​​​​​​​Thanks in advance.

Pretty sure I found the problem. I check all of the electrical items and everything seemed OK. The fuel line, where it enters the engine was crimped. It has some corrosion under it. I cleaned everything up and installed a new fuel line. The local dealer had two in stock. I bought both. I’m going to go ahead and do the other motor while I have it out of the water.

I did pull the VST since it was out of the water and I already had the parts. It was very clean and looked brand new inside.

Will test tomorrow and provide feedback.

Pretty sure I found the problem. I check all of the electrical items and everything seemed OK. The fuel line, where it enters the engine was crimped. It has some corrosion under it. I cleaned everything up and installed a new fuel line. The local dealer had two in stock. I bought both. I’m going to go ahead and do the other motor while I have it out of the water.

I did pull the VST since it was out of the water and I already had the parts. It was very clean and looked brand new inside.

Will test tomorrow and provide feedback.

Hi, any feedback on your testing? Was your problem solved?

Thanks for your reply, will check mine as having similar symptoms.

Lucky Catch, as solved by replacing the complete fuel line with a new one do you think just by cleaning and adjusting/straightening the old line would have done the job?

Last edited:
Just wondering what the proper fuel line is for the BF225? I thought it may be time to replace the original 15 year old hoses to my engines, they look OK but I've heard over time the ethanol can deteriorate and even shrink the hose. Don't want to take off and measure, maybe the original 3/8" is now 5/16" or even 1/4".
Thanks.

Back