Logo

Evinrude 88 spl squeak noise at idle

Cliff77

I have an 1987 88SPL Evinrude. I replaced the powerhead with a remanufactured unit. I have this squeak, ticking noise below 1000 RPM. The old worn out engine ran a little rough but did not have this noise. Has anyone out there heard anything like this and have a fix ? With a stethoscope it sounds loudest on the intake manifold area but hard to say. I can also hear it when the engine is cranking over. I have put 10 hours on it and it runs fine. The replacement included block, crankcase, pistons and heads. I had to transfer everything else. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.
You Tube video link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lfGRxj4Dlw

I am in contact with the vendor. They wanted me to finish the break in process which I did. They are "backed up" and slow to reply. I am waiting for a reply but I am reaching out to see if anybody has heard this before and would know what it is. I was very careful installing the flywheel. I can see up under it and there are no shavings of any kind and looks good. Thanks for the reply.

That racket is not encouraging.----Sounds like they put a 0.020" over piston in a 0.030" over bore !----I would be sending it back !----Never heard that on a motor here.

I don't think so. I replaced all the seals in the lower unit along with all the water pump parts. Even though the water pump had less than 50 hours on it the rebuilder required it to be replaced to keep the warranty good. I figured I may as well replace all seals as they are 33 years old. I have always changed the fluid and it looked like new. I can hear the noise loudest on the engine intake area when using a stethoscope. I don't hear it with the stethoscope.

Can the reed valves make a noise like this ? I am willing to replace anything other than the powerhead to show the rebuilder it is their problem. If it is not something they should take care of I have no problem with that. I just want the noise gone. Plus I have been thinking about replacing them anyway with some performance ones.

Back