Logo

Mercruiser 350 not running right

BodegaErik

A few months back we bought a 2003 20i Tige ski boat.

Took it for a test run before buying and it ran great for the 30 minute test run.

In the months since buying it I’ve had some upholstery work done, I put on FAE stainless mufflers, and I fixed a few other cosmetic items.

Last Saturday everything was finally back together, so Sunday it was lake day! Boat started up great, idled out of the “no wake zone” great, and I hit the throttle to get going fast. Fifteen seconds later the motor throttled down by itself and started “coughing”. I pull the throttle back and the engine coughs then dies. I check around under the engine cover and everything seems fine. Start it back up and it’s idling great. At this point my daughter is on the tube floating behind the boat and wants to get pulled around. I pull her in idle foe about a minute and everything looks/seems/sounds great, so I throttle up. It’s running perfect for about 10-15 seconds then it chokes and throttles down by itself, and ultimately dies.

This happened over and over, so we yanked the tube and just went for about an hour idling cruise, ate lunch and headed home.

I’ve worked on engines quite a bit when I was younger, and the only things that came to mind was bad gas, in-line fuel filter, or fuel/water separator. So yesterday I changed filter, separator, and I put an addictive in the fuel. Hooked up to water in the yard this morning to test out. Idle was fine, but at 2500 rpms it lasted 15-20 seconds. Next I took the air filter off. Now I got 2500 rpms for a full minute! Thinking I need to get a new air filter, I was just about to throttle down and shut off. Well, the motor beat me to the throttle down, same issue.

All local boat mechanics are 3-4 weeks out, and I have a house boating trip planned in 2-1/2 weeks!

What is the next thing that I check?

Your help would be very much appreciated

what did the fuel in the old filter look like?

When was the boat last run, before you bought it?

engine make and fuel delivery system type?

Boat engines don't have air filters - they should have flame arresters and they usually need cleaning when the oil and filter get changed...

if it is fuel injected, I'd do a fuel pressure test...

what did the fuel in the old filter look like?

When was the boat last run, before you bought it?

engine make and fuel delivery system type?

Boat engines don't have air filters - they should have flame arresters and they usually need cleaning when the oil and filter get changed...

if it is fuel injected, I'd do a fuel pressure test...

The fuel in the old filter looked fine, no signs of water.

I bought and test ran the boat back in March. Prior to that the boat apparently hadn’t been started since last summer.

Fuel injected Mercruiser 350

With the flame arrestor off, boat still runs bad after 30 seconds of higher rpms.

I haven’t done a fuel pressure test, and honestly that’s something I’ve never done on a boat……. I am awaiting a call back from a mobile mechanic, and that is something that he can do. In the meantime, I will research online how to do it myself.

Thank you for the reply.

yes, on top of the tank, usually the first fitting out of the pickup tube...it will look similar to a hose barb fitting...google it for some examples...

Problem solved.

From the fuel tank to the motor, the fuel follows this path.

Tank, anti-siphon valve, in-line filter, low pressure lift fuel pump, fuel/water separator, fuel cooling system, high pressure fuel pump…….

Problem was a bad low pressure lift fuel pump. The high pressure pump was able to suck enough fuel through the whole system at low idle, but at higher RPM’s it just couldn’t supply enough without the help of the lift pump.

Back