Logo

Shift Linkage adjustment !991 Force 90 HP

I need a video on how to adjust the shift linkage on my 1991 Force 90 HP Model # 908P91C

After discovering the middle shift rod was unscrewed out of the lower shift linkage, then reinstalling it properly, I need to adjust the linkage at the control cable connections on the power head. The unit will shift but the shift from Idle to reverse is to quick, and from idle to forward is to slow.

Thanks and Happy Father's Day everyone!

Unhook at the connector on the motor.
Shift the shift lever in to N
Then shift the shift rod into N
Both in N
Then the connector gets adjusted so it slides over the connector on the motor, just make sure you spin the
prop as you shift the shift rod, otherwise it can bind and throw off the linkage.

In some cases????? there's a double nut on the top of the intermediate shift shaft, under the bottom carb,
sometimes you'll need to adjust here but only as a last resort.

When you reinstalled the shift rod into the shift yoke how many turns in/out did you set the rod at??

I screwed in all the way in. It was almost completely unthreaded when I pulled the lower unit, because when I was reinstalling the lower unit I turned the rod to line it up for the pin connection and it came loose. I supposed that this was the previous owners doing. Rather that adjust the linkage, he cranked on the rod....

When shifting and not running it can bind the linkage and bend parts.
Might not hurt it every time but if the dog and gear isn't meshed it can put a LOT of
pressure on the linkage.
Normal operation the motors running when the shifters moved(except for fast idle)

Back