Logo

1994 M18D with electric start not starting

hunkydory

Long story but in 1994, with about 1 week of use on brand new outboards (I have 2), the boat was struck by a barge and sank. The outboard was submerged for maybe a couple hours in brackish water. When retrieved, I did what I could to flush it and run it awhile. Then it went into storage for 25 years. Now I'm trying to resurrect it. I had pulled apart the carb and found some corrosion which I easily cleaned up - wasn't too bad. I changed spark plugs which looked a bit oily. Got plenty of gas going to the motor, and when I crack the float drain screw gas will drip out.

So when I try to start it by pulling, one time I thought I had it running - it idled for about 4 seconds and died. Each pull it fires, but won't run more than a second. I'm thinking I will pull the carb apart again and double check the main jet area for corrosion. But curious if anyone might suggest something else.

As for the electric starter - it was froze up with corrosion. It is a Hitachi S106-12 and they look to be about $160 with shipping (I'm in rural Alaska so no free shipping for most things), so I thought I might rescue it. I got it apart and cleaned out the rust and freed up the carbons. When back together (got a good pinch on my finger when the magnets grabbed and snapped the armature back in), I see it spins freely when I hook up a battery to it. But when I put it back on the outboard, the gear doesn't engage, even though I can spin it up with my fingers. I was curious if I hadn't aligned it properly to the flywheel so tried adjusting the position but not much play there and no effect. For safety I'll probably want a new starter anyway, but it would be nice if I could use this one to get the motor running instead of all the pulling. Hoping to find a good source for starters, though maybe that price I quoted is standard.

Thanks for reading.. /jim

Attachments

• PXL_20210617_011236447reduced.jpg
    PXL_20210617_011236447reduced.jpg
    445.2 KB · Views: 23
Ok, I took apart the carb again and see I missed the fuel pump last time. Had some corrosion in there that I cleaned up with some WD-40 and some steel wool. Double checked the jet and other pathways and it all looked good. Put it back together and same thing. However.. I opened the throttle up more and it started running but at a higher RPM than I wanted, so started throttling it down and immediately died. Now still hard to start but maybe there's an idle adjusting screw I can sort out. I put up a video of me trying to start it here: http://www.dorydesign.com/downloads/pullstart.mp4

I also put up a video of how the starter behaves. Sorry about the focus, I jury-rigged a stand for my phone and couldn't see what it was focusing on. But it shows what happens: http://www.dorydesign.com/downloads/starter.mp4

I'll include a pic of the pump corrosion. The screws were pretty corroded so wire-wheeled them and added some Tef-Gel.

PXL_20210618_184338388-reduced.jpg

Pretty corroded. Clearly the low speed circuit of the carb has an issue. Some more cleaning may help, but if it's corrosion only an acid will attack it.
I would pull the starter off again and clean/lubricate it some more.
As an alternative, the carb is still available:
3G2031005MCARBURETOR ASS'Y Part 3g2031001 was superceded to 3G2031005M$249.80

The oem starter is also still available:
350760100MSTARTER MOTOR A$332.05

Thanks pvanv! I'll try again on the cleaning. If all fails, I see you listed some parts. Where are those available from.. any dealer can order them or can I order direct?

/jim

Back