Logo

Delivery Man Left New 2.5 Motor on Porch Upside Down. Did This Cause GEAR OIL to leak into Cylinder?

GenericUserName

I just received a brand new Suzuki DF2.5L3 today and the delivery driver left it standing upside down on the porch. It stood on the porch that way for over 4 hours based on the time the online tracking said it was delivered. The box CLEARLY said "THIS SIDE UP" on the side that was supposed to be facing up. I know engine oil would've leaked into the cylinder through the exhaust port if it had been if it hadn't been shipped "dry", but I'm hoping it's okay. What I'm not sure about is whether or not any of the gear oil could've ended up anywhere it's not supposed to be. Should it be okay, or is there anything I need to check before the first start up? None of the outer casings were damaged and everything looks okay. This is my first time posting a question on an online forum even though I've found answers to hundreds of my questions on them through the years. I looked for an answer to this, but couldn't find anybody else asking for help with this exact problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your help! I thought it probably was since differentials on cars and trucks are, but didn't want to find out the hard way that I should've asked for advice.

There's actually engine oil running all over the motor. I thought it shipped empty and there was a tag on the tiller handle that said "Fill Oil", but I guess not. Should I just return to sender and get a replacement? There's oil coming out of the air filter, and I don't want to have to clean the carb on a brand new motor before I can even start it! It was purchased from Gander Outdoors (formerly Gander Mountain) so it was from a legit company. I don't blame them, it was FedEx's fault!

Let the motor sit in normal operating position for 2 days and 4 hrs.------Check oil level in motor engine block.-----Top up as needed.-----Start the motor-(Cooling water to the impeller ) and enjoy it.

The oil that ran out was just residual oil left in engine when they drained it for shipment. Just refill crank case with correct oil and have fun.
��

Just to be on the safe side if you can’t pull the recoil starter remove the spark plug and pull it over a few times to clear the cyl of oil if any found it’s way into the combustion chamber. This can happen with 4 stroke OBs if they are stored the wrong way. The correct way to lay the engine down is marked on the engine.

Back