Logo

Transfer port cover gaskets

topgun3690

Having an issue at high rpms, cutting out near WOT.....initially thought it might be a fuel starvation problem. Decided to do the old JerryJerry starting fluid test around the intake side......sure enough when I sprayed near the bottom port cover it almost died, did it 3 or 4 times, same result. So I reckon she is sucking air. Should I go ahead and replace all 3 port cover gaskets or just the bottom one which seems to be the problem? Ordered 3 gaskets anyway, along with fuel diaphragm and gasket.

That's what I figured....will report back on the results of this experiment....btw, it seems to me that the engine would rev up instead of almost dying since it is sucking in starting fluid? IDK

Last edited:
The effect of adding more propellant is the same as flooding the carb.

Change all 3 and use some kind of sealer and let them set for 48hr. before starting.
New gaskets can be sucked in or blown out if not given time to cure.

Last edited:
" and use some kind of sealer".....that was my next question..."The effect of adding more propellant is the same as flooding the carb." Makes sense now, thanks.

The manual says 70 in lbs or 6 ft lbs on the port cover bolts.....sure doesn't seem very tight....thinking about using black rtv....what would be your choice?

Well----70 inch-lbs is standard torque for 1/4" bolts in aluminum.-----Do not use RTV here.-----Post the results after replacing these 3 gaskets.

70 inch lbs is what I will use.....after doing some checking, found that RTV not for gasoline contact....not good for port covers. Thanks for pointing that out racer....

On these transfer covers a torque of more than 70 inch-lbs in aluminum generally starts pulling the threads out of the hole.

Parts came in today, will get on it tomorrow.....got some Permatex Motoseal for the gaskets, is resistant to all fuels.....recommended for engine covers, case halves, etc.

Update.....got the new port cover gaskets installed today....re-did the starting fluid test....it had no effect so it is not sucking air now. I seem to have solved another problem too.....a cold start cough or sneeze that this motor has had for as long as I can remember. Still need to get the boat out on the water and see how it does at high rpms. Put a new fuel pump diaphragm in since I was already in there. Bought the gaskets from Franz's....he advised to NOT use anything on these gaskets, to put them on dry, so I did. Will see how they hold up....not a big deal if I have to redo them later (with sealer).

Back