Logo

2001 Mercury V200 EFI ignition issue's

colorsetter

I recently acquired a used boat and I have fought this problem from the beginning. You can start and run the Mercury Outboard Serial#0t272390 down the lake and when you shut it off it may start again or it may not. If it starts it may only make it to the next spot. Parts that have been replaced are the stator, trigger and all CDM's with new coil wires. Last time out after replacing all CDM's it ran and started great. I made a long run down lake and fished for about 20 minutes. then acted like it wanted to start then nothing. I did what I have done previous time and unplugged CDM for cylinder 5 and it started up. I went i done that through the rest of the CDM's and it would only start if 5 or 6 was unplugged. I started engine with 5 unplugged then plugged 5 back in while running and all cylinders were firing. Ran boat back to ramp. Thinking its a related to heat in some way. No engine alarms and water PSI is great. It just makes me think something is getting hot and casing a bad ground or loose connection. I've been through all connections and applied dielectric grease. This issue has been the same throughout all the changes. Always electrical and related to lower to cylinders. Help appreciated. 115 psi on all cylinders. Also, like I stated earlier I can go out every day and repeat what I have. Runs great out of the hole then the problems start.

Last edited:
I recently acquired a used boat and I have fought this problem from the beginning. You can start and run the Mercury Outboard Serial#0t272390 down the lake and when you shut it off it may start again or it may not. If it starts it may only make it to the next spot. Parts that have been replaced are the stator, trigger and all CDM's with new coil wires. Last time out after replacing all CDM's it ran and started great. I made a long run down lake and fished for about 20 minutes. then acted like it wanted to start then nothing. I did what I have done previous time and unplugged CDM for cylinder 5 and it started up. I went i done that through the rest of the CDM's and it would only start if 5 or 6 was unplugged. I started engine with 5 unplugged then plugged 5 back in while running and all cylinders were firing. Ran boat back to ramp. Thinking its a related to heat in some way. No engine alarms and water PSI is great. It just makes me think something is getting hot and casing a bad ground or loose connection. I've been through all connections and applied dielectric grease. This issue has been the same throughout all the changes. Always electrical and related to lower to cylinders. Help appreciated. 115 psi on all cylinders. Also, like I stated earlier I can go out every day and repeat what I have. Runs great out of the hole then the problems start.

No thanks from the forum community the issues ended up being 2 things. EFI computer had a injector driver that would act up when hot. The other was a small leak around one of the injectors o-ring that created an over rich start condition when hot. After repairing those 2 things my outboard has ran great!

Back