Logo

Do I buy 2 cycle or 4 cycle oil

Is this a 4 cylinder 2 stroke motor ?-----Do you see an oil tank under the cowling ?-----So many new boaters these days.-----Read a manual and talk to a shop.-----Will save you lots of grief.

Yes there is a oil tank under cowling. It is a 4 cylinder. I don’t know about 2 stroke. I provided the engine serial #, hoping that might help.

It is a 2 stroke engine.------The motor left the factory with an automatic oil injection / mixing system.-----I assume you just became the proud owner of this machine.----So it needs a new water pump impeller as a precaution !!----You should also determine if oil injection is in service or bypassed.----Read the owners manual or get your knowledge from a friendly boat shop or other experienced owner.-----Mistakes can be expensive.

I have a manual, but to me it’s not clear about what oil to use.
I was hoping by giving the serial number to the engine some one could tell what oil it would take. It has not been modified still is factory everything. Why would you say it needs a new water pump impeller as a precaution? You confirmed it is a 2 stroke, but I still don’t know to buy 2 cycle or 4 cycle. From what I’ve learned I’m leaning towards 2 cycle being that it is oil injected.
( I don’t Change the oil, I just fill it)

Your manual would be very clear on what oil to use !----I suggest you visit a dealer and ask for help before you start this motor.-----Pay them if you have to.-----That will save you a lot of $$$

Back