Logo

Need advice please, 1989 bayliner

Dusty262

Hello all, new here, I'm looking at buying a 1989 bayliner with a force 120 inboard, the seller says the carbs need gone through and fuel system cleaned, but it will run on starting fluid, I was thinking about putting a new carb on until my research led me to it has 3 carbs on the motor.. I'm a car guy so definitely used to only having one lol.. the boat is a 7 hour round trip drive, just wondering if it's something worth going after or staying away from since it seems parts are pretty hard to find.. thanks for any advice.

Hello all, new here, I'm looking at buying a 1989 bayliner with a force 120 inboard, the seller says the carbs need gone through and fuel system cleaned, but it will run on starting fluid, I was thinking about putting a new carb on until my research led me to it has 3 carbs on the motor.. I'm a car guy so definitely used to only having one lol.. the boat is a 7 hour round trip drive, just wondering if it's something worth going after or staying away from since it seems parts are pretty hard to find.. thanks for any advice.
My advice would be to drive 7 hrs in the opposite direction 0f that obsolete money pit.

Not everybody's a fan(scott) of Bayliners and the Forces.
They were an economically priced combo that was a good running outfit.

Myself they are a good running but a little more expensive to run(little harder on gas than the newer motors)
Almost 99% of the parts are still available if you look.

The 120 "INBOARD"????
IF???? it's an inboard like you say then it's the L-Drive model.
If so?? then I'd agree with scott that it's a money pit, but a true outboard if checked out can be a good deal,
depending on the cost.
That model was only made a couple years and was plagued with problems from day one.
The motor was ok but the drive and mounting system was a bad design.

The 120 was introduced in 1990 before that it was a 125 with 2 carbs, 3 carbs on the smaller 85/90

Don't know the cost but more than 2500-3000 I'd pass.

Tell us the motor or a pic of the transom.

Always have a mechanic do a compression test before buying ANYTHING!!!

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it, I can get the boat with both titles for $900. The picture of the back doesn't show what kind of transom just shows it, ill see if I can figure out how to upload it

Last edited:
I like Force?Chrysler just fine as an outboard. An L drive is a frankenstein pos with no parts availability. Is he giving you $900 to take it?

I think you need 5 posts to be able to post pics unless you use a photo sharing site.
IF??? you don't see the motor hanging on the transom then it's probably the dreaded
HELLLLL DRIVE!!! or L-drive as that's what they called it.
And under NO circumstance buy that boat. :)

Back