Logo

2003 75hp 75ELPTO fast idle when warm

six20aus

Hi all
So just replaced the plugs and the boat ran like a dream initially then did what it has done since I've owned this engine - started idling higher - don't have a tacho so no numbers but having heard others I'm happy its cold idle is ballpark and its hot idle is 'too fast' (as opposed to ridiculously fast).
I know its too fast since one warm its slams going into F and even worse in R. Doesn't do this cold. I tried lowering the idle at the global idle screw adjustment but if I go any lower it starts to miss. I also put new fuel and a Nulon carb/engine cleaner thru it wondering if it was some sort of cylinder buildup thing going on but no real change other than giving me a heap of smoke for about five minutes and now less smoke than I was getting before.
How do I fix this please ? Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Engine otherwise purrs when cruising and pumps hard at WOT, has an even 120 across the 3 cylinders.

Is the throttle arm on the motor against the idle stop.----If not ,then you need to adjust the cable at the motor so it goes against the stop with a slight preload.

Idle speed is determined by the spark advance, not the carbs.

Look for an adjustment there and back it off a bit.

Jeff

Back