Logo

Through Hull Exhaust too loud at low speeds

Chadbud

[FONT=&quot]Hey guys! I have a 89 21’ Celebrity with a 5.7l V8 mercruiser alpha 1 with through hull exhaust.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
Now I love hearing the V8 don’t get me wrong.. but I spend more of my boating time at 5-10 mph cruising around. At those speeds the noise can get bothersome. Here’s my question.. I’m looking into solutions. Is there a way to keep the “loudness” at higher speeds/rpms but muffle it at lower speeds? I’ve been looking at mufflers and I’ve also seen those L shaped pipes that send it into the water.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Any advice?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
Thanks so much guys![/FONT]

2X on the diverter...and hoping your Y pipe is still installed....

You may find some original Silent Choice on fleabay....i know hardin sells some packaged deals too...

Ran my 5.7 through the transom with a pair of 14" x 3"(port) Centek fiberglass mufflers.... At idle and low speeds has nice mellow sound that you can actually talk over.... at cruise still "sporty".... Routing exhaust on mine involved 2, 90 degree elbows on each bank, with exhaust exiting near the transom corners just above waterline ( with flappers)

Attachments

• KIMG0423.jpg
    KIMG0423.jpg
    392.8 KB · Views: 40
2 x on ear plugs or very loud sound system.

Should have bought a thru prop exhaust boat.

when I run at low speeds you cannot hear much but the music...........zero exhaust noise as its thru prop. Priceless!

Yeh that's the other option...go to thru prop exhaust. The benefits of thru transom are, well, hm. Can't think of any.
There isn't a performance gain. There might be some with a 8 liter-plus big block at WOT, but you don't have anything close to that.
The exhaust tube (vs bellows) allows for any excess gasses to flow thru the prop stream without creating back pressure. Those excess gasses don't interfere with the prop blades' ability to "bite" the clear water flowing around the drive and become sucked into the exhaust vortex.

Hey guys! Sorry for responding literally a half a year later. Life took its opportunity to throw me a few curveballs. ��

I love the ideas. Captains call seems pricey for the boat to install now.. being that the install would cost about a third what I paid for the vessel.

Throughout the summer I noticed some boats that had a 90 degree pipe from the through hull exhaust that seemed to go right into the water at idle/slow speeds. In theory, this seems like it would solve my problem; as I love the sound at cruising speeds but not so much when I’m just putting around.

Have y’all heard of these? The pipe is almost like an upside down L. Or am I mistaken and this wouldn’t be applicable to my setup?

Also as a side note: I peeled inside the pipes before putting her in storage this year and I noticed the one of internal flappers on the left pipe was pretty torn up/non existent. Is this an issue? I imagine they’re just a 2nd layer of protection from water getting in past the flappers (which I should also replace sometime soon).

Please let me know! Thanks!

Cost of boating parts , pieces and repairs has nothing to do with what you paid for your boat.----You have an old boat.----Shops use " brand new time " to repair it.

It's like if you bought an old Rolls Royce for cheap. The replacement parts still gonna cost what new parts cost and the shop's gonna charge the same rate they charge for anything so yeh it doesn't cost what a new one does, but maintenance is at Rolls Royce rates.
My buddy's old Ferrari 308 still costs him $3000 for an oil change and filter. No kidding. Try THAT on for size every 5000 miles.

Last edited:
Back