Logo

Volvo Penta Stumbles under load.

tylerm2019

[FONT=&quot]Hi all,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I am trying to figure out fuel injection. I have had quite a bit experience with Mercruiser carburated models but new to both fuel injection and Volvo Penta. My engines model number is 50FAPNCA (Ford 5.0). My boat had a clear rod knock but ran so I pulled it out and replaced it with a remanufactured 5.0 engine bored .030 over. I set timing as stated on engine to 5 degrees BTDC with spout removed. The problem with the boat is that it has a hard start meaning take around 10 seconds to fire up and once it does it wont go above around 2000 RPM without back firing out the intake and not going any further when under load. With out load when the boat is in neutral the engine it does run good and can reach WOT. The spark plugs were new but are now carbon fouled with dry black soot. I replaced distributor cap and rotor. I tested fuel pressure at the rail and came back 39 psi key on 31psi engine running. Any help or advice would be appreciated![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Thanks, Tyler[/FONT]

Are the plug wires good? Have you checked resistance on them? Are they on the proper plug in the proper sequence?

The spark plugs were new but are now carbon fouled with dry black soot.

Ayuh,...... Sounds like it's runnin' super rich, down low,.... 'n goin' lean up higher, under load,.....

My guess is, it's a fuel delivery/ carb issue,....

Back