Logo

Mercruiser 8.2L 2015 HO - Hard starting issue

Chris00

Hello, Recently acquired my boat and the engine does not start smoothly. I feel the starter is forcing when I initiate cranking. Does anyone know how much amp the starter is supposed to draw when cranking? I have 2 good batteries 1000 CA or 800 CCA each. I used a multimeter with a clamp and for 1 second when initiate cranking I get a draw of 360 amps and then drops around 250 amps while cranking. Does this seem normal? Thank you.

Disconnect all of the battery and starter wires and any ground wires and use 400 grit sandpaper to polish them until they shine including their contact points; add a little electrical grease to the polished connectors or any grease to stop corrosion. Check the starter end of the battery cable for green or black corrosion on the stranded wire. Corrosion will wick its way inside the cable where it can't be seen. A telltale sign of a bad cable is swelling along its length usually near one end of the cable. Cut the swollen spot and you'll see green powder...bad cable.

Disconnect all of the battery and starter wires and any ground wires and use 400 grit sandpaper to polish them until they shine including their contact points; add a little electrical grease to the polished connectors or any grease to stop corrosion. Check the starter end of the battery cable for green or black corrosion on the stranded wire. Corrosion will wick its way inside the cable where it can't be seen. A telltale sign of a bad cable is swelling along its length usually near one end of the cable. Cut the swollen spot and you'll see green powder...bad cable.

Thank you. I'll give it a try.

Hello all- I have 1998 7.4 MPI no matter if its hot or cold it is very hard starting Cranking it for 5 to 8 seconds then stop and do it for about another 4 to 6 times when I let off the key it gets a little start then stalls, try it again and start up and runs Fine, no issues running WOT, or Idle, just hard starting..and i have done all new Plugs, wires, cap and Rotor. any ideas??

does the fuel pump prime when you turn the key to run?

have you checked the fuel pressure in the rail when trying to start it?

it depends...36 PSI +/- 2 for the older ones and 43 PSI +/- 2 for the new ones (MEFI-3)
Update- Hello all hope your holiday season is going great and safe, I replaced the Fuel pump and regulator, When i tested them cranking was at about 18psi running was about 22psi, Now i have 32 running and 42 cranking, And I'm still having starting issues, cranks and cranks after a few times it will start and run fine...Any additional thoughts on what to check?

Back