Logo

1973 Johnson 9.5 hp stumbles and dies

Daveid01

Hi,
I have had this motor for about 10 years and a couple of years ago it only revved up half way. At that point I rebuilt and cleaned the carb and it fixed the problem. It then sat for 6 months or so and had to repeat the cleaning and it worked great again. Now after sitting for about a year, it fires up and runn full.speed in reverse and In neutral but in forward it tries to rev up and then falls on its face and almost dies. It just keeps doing that and doesn't ever level put.
Any thoughts on what it could be?

Thank you in advance

Check spark.-----Might be running on 1 cylinder.-----If it still has factory ignition coils it might be due for a new set.

Welcome to the forum. Agreed with Racer. Also I'm wondering why you are needing to clean the carb? Are you using ethanol "contaminated" fuel? Any ethanol will destroy the latex rubber crank seals.....then you have a tough job ahead to replace those $10 seals. Also maybe the fuel screen is bad in your fuel pump, or maybe inside your fuel tank. There is a screen on the suction tube there in your tank. Make sure the tank is clean.

Thank you guys for the information. I will check those screens. I'm pretty sure the boat motor screen is good but I hate will need to check the gas tank. It is an old gas tank and both the tank and the motor usually sit awhile in between uses.
As for the spark, I was reading some of the other posts on this for him and I read something about measuring the spark? How do you go about measuring a spark?

Thanks again,
David

You glue 2 pieces of wire on a piece of cardboard or plywood.----Glue them so there is 1/4" gap between them.-----Stick one end of wire in the sparkplug boot.---The other end clipped on the block.-----Pull the starter cord and if spark jumps that gap the magneto is in good condition.----Or buy such a tool for about $10.

I have my wife hold the end of the plug wire.....then judge spark by how hard she slaps me.
Now I either need another wife.....or start gluing wire to cardboard.....
Think I'll try the latter.....thanks, Racer.....you may have saved our marriage.

Last edited:
Well Tim, if you were to take grade 5 science into account, (where you used windings to up the voltage of a little 9V battery), you could theoretically up the voltage to where she would not be able to slap you...sort of a poor mans taser.
Now I’m not advocating any such thing should be done...just sitting in the dock, pouring beers out of the kegerator...after a good days fishing with my little 8hp Evinrude that Racer worked over for me��
Beer is good...working kickers are good.

Ha....just had my first Hamm's of the day on that one....and a good laugh too. Always said: "Life's too serious.....to be taken seriously"......Can't buy Labatts anymore....they won't let us across the border.....YET!
I remember years back when they were serious on drinking a beer in the boat.....BEING ILLEGAL. Almost gave up fishing.....then I started fishing from shore......problem solved!

Last edited:
Beautiful....5 degrees....perfect. Nothing better on a hot day. You da man! No need to worry about recycling cans either. "Kegerator"....ha! Sweet!

Back