Logo

Honda BF50A idle issues

pgshields

Hey guys, I’ve read a couple threads about bad idle and carbs sync. I just have a questions or two.

I have a old Honda 97’ BF50A that will not crank without a lot of throttle given to it. If it’s in idle it will die out. I recently bought a carbtune pro 4 to see how out of whack my boat was. I’m trying to decide what to do. The carbs have just been cleaned.

Do I adjust the pilot screws to sync the carbs or do I twist the idle stop the screw? Sorry for confusion I have

Do I adjust the blue set of screws or the green ones to sync and balance?

Attachments

• CA1C094D-3927-425A-BA33-0F857BC7FFA7.jpg
    CA1C094D-3927-425A-BA33-0F857BC7FFA7.jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0779.jpg
    IMG_0779.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Blue is for balance

The green are your idle fuel mixture. Set those to 2.5 - 3.0 turns from closed, all of them the same, and and you should be pretty close.

Blue is for balance

The green are your idle fuel mixture. Set those to 2.5 - 3.0 turns from closed, all of them the same, and and you should be pretty close.

so would you say the blue screws help balance it on the gauge or is that what the idle fuel mixture does. Thought I understood it but confused now

Blue is used to bring the 3 carbs into balance (synchronize) using the gauge. The bottom carb is what they call the "master" carb. You would use the blue screws to adjust the top and middle carbs to match the bottom one. Takes some screwing around, but the results are usually worth it - especially when you have a reading like the one in your picture.

Thank you Alan for clarifying. That’s exactly what I needed to hear. So the green won’t do anything when it comes to helping balance those out?

Last edited:
Back