Logo

Distributed For 270

KAG

Contributing Member
Don’t think it is the problem but have tried everything else I can think of, so am thinking of replacing the distributor. (See other post, runs for while)

I have twin 1984 Crusader 270s. Points were replaced previously with electronic. Both distributors are Mallory, but different models. Likely one or both were replaced before I got the boat. One engine is counter rotation (or at least prop is) but both rotors spin the same way.

Question: what is proper replacement distributor? Safe to assume available with electronics?

Also, any reason can’t swap them to test?

thank you.

If you have factory assembled engines, you can look at the serial number plates to determine their <crankshaft> rotation. again, in the factory configuration, the distributors can be swapped between LH and RH engines.

The 'proper' distributor is a normal (LH) marine rated distributor. Sadly, genuine mallory units are hard to find nowadays.

I would get a breakerless version...if you need to replace them.

On the intermittent issue - you might want to consider 'reality'...you harnesses are damn near FOURTY years old along with a lot of the ther 'support items'....may need to start replacing these items....but you need to consider the business case to see if it makes sense...

Back