Logo

BF75 oil filter

frankt75

I have a 7-1/2 hp Honda outboard, frame number BF75L-1704426. When I was looking at the parts diagram for the oil system, I noticed that it shows an oil filter (P/N 15421-881-000). It appears that I would have to remove the cylinder assembly to change out this oil filter. Is this oil filter something that is supposed to be changed periodically?

Hi frankt75,

No, the oil filter is in the oil sump and is not meant to be regularly serviced.

You are correct that getting to it requires that the powerhead needs to be removed from the oil pan. A bit more of a job than most people care to do but not terribly difficult. You would want to read the service manual first though and there is a "hidden" bolt. Also needs new gaskets to put back together.

I've taken a few of these apart and, while there is usually muck sludge in the bottom of the pan, it is a deep sump and the filters usually look ok for the most part.

All you can do with these is change the oil regularly.

If the green oil lamp stays lit and she isn't making any clattering noises while running then everything is ok.

Good luck.

Back