Logo

1971 Evinrude 9.5HP Issues getting running!

rmccallum

Picked up a very clean looking 71 9.5HP just as a toy to putt around the pond with. Dug into it to get it going as the PO couldn't get it to start when I went to look at it. What I know so far;

Excellent Compression 90PSI+
Spark is great on both cylinders
Opened Carb, very clean, but seems like Im getting a much higher fuel delivery on the bottom cylinder although they share the port after the Carb.
Pulled motor over and can only ever get one pop, not running or trying to run just a single pop.
I'm a little hesitant that my fuel isn't quiet 50/1 but I don't think that would be an issue at all.

Rip cord ended up breaking so I'll be picking one up but I'm kind of stumped on what else is giving me the issue.
Mildly concerned with the "Lean-Rich" dial on the controls of the motor and where I should position it to start but other than that it's pretty basic and I'm running out of ideas.
Timing way out of whack?

Thanks for the help in advance!

Did you pull the flywheel to inspect the coils ??------You would find 2 cracked ( garbage ) coils or 2 new ones already.----Good spark is defines as being able to jump a gap of up to 5/16" on a test device.----As far as starting that motor does not care if fuel is mixed at 25:1 or 75:1 in your tank.

Did you pull the flywheel to inspect the coils ??------You would find 2 cracked ( garbage ) coils or 2 new ones already.----Good spark is defines as being able to jump a gap of up to 5/16" on a test device.----As far as starting that motor does not care if fuel is mixed at 25:1 or 75:1 in your tank.
Thanks for getting back to me!Everything under the flywheel is new, points, condensers, coils, no cracking visible. Had them out just to make sure wires were getting good contact as part of troubleshooting.I would say I’m easily obtaining the 5/16” of spark jump. Anything else I could check?

I picked up a nice 9.5 a while back. PO could not get it running and said he had cleaned the carb twice. What he did not know was what looks like it is only a drain plug is also the main jet feed. I cleaned it out and it runs like a top.

Back