Logo

lack of fresh air to carb issue?

[FONT=&quot]..... had a mechanic/dealer shake my 1996 FORCE 75hp and ask me if I had any issue with engine seemingly choking out. He suggested engine might have a gasket (exhaust) leak backflowing into cowl and robing airflow necessary for carburetor to function properly. Mechanic also suggested to maybe cut some slots or install air vents in the cowl/hood to bring in FRESH air. He suggested this w/o even seeing or hearing the FORCE run! Just by shaking the engine while hung on my pontoon! You know, I think he was right![/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Anyone done this before or heard of similar? After new reed blocks, fuel lines carb clean etc I have this FORCE #purringlikeakitten and on test runs it runs great @ WOT! At dock with the cowl OFF I synced idle to about 1100rpms (950 in gear) but when I put coel ON the rpms drop to about 900 (700 in gear).[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Anyone installed an air vent in their FORCE cowls? lol ~[/FONT]

It sounds like he might be right and your motor is choking itself.
Cutting holes might help.
The thing I do is find where the leak is and clean it real good, get all the oil and dirt
from the seam where it leaks. Then goop it with silicone and let it dry and then goop it again.
That might help??

It sounds like he might be right and your motor is choking itself.
Cutting holes might help.
The thing I do is find where the leak is and clean it real good, get all the oil and dirt
from the seam where it leaks. Then goop it with silicone and let it dry and then goop it again.
That might help??

I have the engine sparkling! Well, as sparkling as a 1996 greasy dirty environment can be.
Bits and peices of the "seal?" (or it could be years of built up grease) under the powerhead
flakes off each time I spray the gunk engine cleaner and then rinse real good.

So you're suggesting sillycone this area where it seems the exhaust is leaking back in under powerhead?
These 2 strokes really have a lot of movement/vibration! AMAZING this "seal" has lasted since 1996
in this salt water environment!

Most last the entire life of the motor.
My twin 88/85's one motor had that problem.
The other was good until I took them apart after the salt water ate the transom after 25+ years
Try the silicone??? Thick and heavy.
It worked on mine for years.

Back