Logo

30HP Oil Leak and light Lower Unit Oil

Shiatzu

Have a Evinrude 30hp Model E30TELCED, 1989, that is leaking oil where the lower unit is attached to the shaft section; and, the lower unit oil is turning from a deep blue to a light blue color after running it on the lake. Would it be a good idea to change out the water pump with Sierra 18-3382? Do I need to do a pressure test first on the lower unit? The water pump has not been changed in a few years, even by previous owner. What other lower unit seals, by the water pump, should I also replace?

Also what other seals, gaskets, or o-rings should I replace for the oil leak, just above where the lower unit is attached? Been looking on the illustrated sections provided through Marineengine.com. Still learning the ropes of all this neat stuff.

Just now starting to work on my outboard motors for the first time. FUN stuff!

Welcome. I suggest a new impeller and pressure test. Be sure lower unit oil is drained out for the test. You will want the pressure at about 10 psi and have the seal below the water pump, as well as the seal behind the prop visible. Use some dish soap in water and be sure that you exercise the shift linkage and both input (driveshaft), and output (prop) shafts while checking for bubbling. These are often leakers. Be sure to check where the shifting shaft enters the gearcase this is behind the water intake screen that you must remove in order to uncouple the shift shaft. Note which way the little plastic wedge washer/lock is facing. Carefully remove it with a tiny pick or screwdriver, then slide off the coupling/nut.
Note: sometimes 2 stroke oil in the fuel, will collect at the seam that you mention. Fuel evaporates and leaves the oil behind. This can be a common sight, so don't be alarmed.

Last edited:
Thank you 'timguy', your response is greatly appreciated. Will perform the pressure check prior to replacing everything. Also have an Evinrude 55hp that is leaking oil out of the lower unit attachment, wonderful things for me to do. Though this is still going to be some time out. My apologies for the delay in response as I am working on many projects, too many, right now. Again..... many Thanks! :)

Well received. My projects are numerous too. 10 outboard jobs here and the wife got me in the gardens.

Back