Logo

Volvo Penta 4.3 binding when trying to start

Robert T

I have a 2004 Monterey Montera 190L with a Penta 4.3. While at the lake last week, all was fine for a short while as I was pulling tubes. As we were going back and forth, my knee caught the emergency cutoff lanyard, pulling it out and stopping the engine....I immediately re-attached the lanyard, however the engine came to a stop anyway. I tried to re start it but it would not start, but instead, as the starter turned the motor, it seemed like it came to a spot where it stopped, then continued to turn (binding maybe)....this of course drained the battery....Thinking it was my battery, I used jumpers and new batteries but it still hesitated to turn a complete revolution....Needless to say, the day was shot.

Before I take it to a boat mechanic (Not many in my area), I would like to get an idea, if any, of what could have caused this....Thanks in advance

Maybe hydrolock from the quick stop and water rushing up the exhaust remove the spark plugs try to turn over by bumping the starter see if water comes out the spark plug holes. If you ingested water which doesnt compress it can lock up the engine and bend a connecting rod.

if you had water ingestion you want to look at this immediately get it running and change the oil as needed until it remains clear

What really happens....

If you pull the lanyard at 4000 rpm the engine will turn into a vacuum pump and suck water up the exhaust pipe..... This will happen with the boat sitting still in neutral.

Pull the spark plugs and spin the engine with the starter..... this will remove the water from the cylinders. Re install the plugs and run it.... Then check the oil.

Maybe hydrolock from the quick stop and water rushing up the exhaust remove the spark plugs try to turn over by bumping the starter see if water comes out the spark plug holes. If you ingested water which doesnt compress it can lock up the engine and bend a connecting rod.

if you had water ingestion you want to look at this immediately get it running and change the oil as needed until it remains clear

Thank you all for the quick responses. I will give it a try.... :)

So to follow up on my previous issue....I pulled the plugs and cranked it over. Water came out of a couple of the cylinders, but the motor turned freely. Put the plugs back in and fired it up. It took a few tries, but started. It sounded and ran fine so I shut it off and checked the oil. Oil was milky so I pumped it out and changed filters. Added 5 quarts and a new filter and it barely touched the end of the stick (I guess I have a 9 quart pan?), but there was still a milky substance. Fired it up and it started right up and ran solid. Let it run about a minute or two and shut it down. Oil was milky still. Pumped the oil out again, but I'm not sure all the water is gone. What would be the best way to insure all the water gets out of the pan? Is there a magic potion out there somewhere? Or just continue the oil changes?

to get the remaining moisture out, you have to let the engine get warm enough for the water to evaporate....and it would also be good to make sure there isn't any 'new' water going into the crankcase...one or two minutes won't do anything except circulate the oil....

So to follow up on my previous issue....I pulled the plugs and cranked it over. Water came out of a couple of the cylinders, but the motor turned freely. Put the plugs back in and fired it up. It took a few tries, but started. It sounded and ran fine so I shut it off and checked the oil. Oil was milky so I pumped it out and changed filters. Added 5 quarts and a new filter and it barely touched the end of the stick (I guess I have a 9 quart pan?), but there was still a milky substance. Fired it up and it started right up and ran solid. Let it run about a minute or two and shut it down. Oil was milky still. Pumped the oil out again, but I'm not sure all the water is gone. What would be the best way to insure all the water gets out of the pan? Is there a magic potion out there somewhere? Or just continue the oil changes?
as mako mark said run it a bit to get it hot maybe up to planing speed and keep changing oil and filter eventually if you dont have any new water coming it it will clear up. Would buy super tech oil or soemhting cheap to waste on getting the milk out

As stated earlier, run it.
I would add, run it for a good while. I had this happen with a Honda car, (no I wasn’t on the lake, but got water in the block while changing a head).
I changed the oil twice, but still saw water condensation under the oil fill cap. After a few hours on the hiway, the water was all evaporated, & removed via the PCV system
Glad to see you didn’t bend a rod.

Back