Logo

Sherwood P 1014 failure again Crusader 350

Blackfin27

Contributing Member
Had both my raw water pumps replaced 2 years ago twin Crusader 350 circa 1997, this fall late season on my way to haul out Starboard 'failed' and was replaced...haven't run it yet (slow to get off the hard). Overheat/alarmed and shut down and limped back.

Mechanic just called in a failure on the Port side on start up.

That's another failure on a relatively new pump. Seems odd circumstances...2 pumps fail within almost the exact time frame, given the boat hasn't really been run since the first failure Starboard.

How likely is this that I got 2 defective pumps at the same time? Because its both pumps, virtually going bad at the same time?

Txs for any insight....suggestions.

( Inboard gasser techs hard to find in my area so hoping its the parts and not the guy )

anybody determine the failure mode(s)?

being as there's no belt tension issue, hard to point to human error for R&R...

Do you have GOOD strainers installed? Shutoff valves good and tight and open?

Was the flow measured at initial installation?

Thanks MM, it seems both failed within the same time frame of hours. I had my baskets replaced on the strainers last year and checked for growth blockage...seemed clear I had removed the scope strainers to check. New pump goes in tomorrow with any luck and will see...just don't get 2 pumps failing at about the same time, note, not US made parts...'assembled' in USA...

Txs.

Sorry to hear about that ....

Did anybody take the bad pumps apart to see what failed?

I'd think they could be rebuilt and stashed in case a repeat occurs...I'd store them with the impeller out...

Not sure I can help your current situation, but I have changed plenty of Sherwood P104 which I think is the same pump with different hose connection points. Over the years I would say two year life is about average. I have only had one total failure, the rest were just leakers at the seal/bearing. Drips must be fixed because otherwise the pulleys rust and then the belts are abraded and slip or fail.

After install you must touch the running pump to insure it does not wobble or vibrate. If it does, it will fail quickly. Wobble could be caused by dirt on the pulley face, mismount of the pump or a bad pulley. I find the anti-rotation arm and mounting bushing under the pump a pain to get right as well. Some users just leave it off as the hoses will keep the pump from rotating. I am hesitant to do this as you are putting more load on a hose that has a seawater connection but to each his own. If the arm put a static side load on the pump this would also shorten the life.

A good trick while the pump is off is to loosely install an extra accessory belt on the engine. After pump installation zip tie it out of the way to the hoses. It will then be available for a quick install the next time you change a belt (particularly if you are at sea.)

I have switched to Johnson pumps for what I hope is better life (and a lower price). Too soon to tell how that works out as I have not got going post-Covid yet.

Wow, I thought they would last longer than that...

My mechanic had the pump on his bench, internal failure. 'Assembled in USA'...looked like it had been through a war....pot metal made in China. Went with a 'USA' rebuilt he sourced, expensive job. He had a stack of new parts and components on his bench, non made in USA. Sad commentary. Two years seems to the life span given the poor quality of these pumps that are coming through.

Back