Logo

96 Evinrude 50hp bogging down after WOT

Bac078

[FONT=&quot]So I have an issue I can't figure out. I have a 96 evinrude 50hp that i replaced the gas tank, fuel line and bulb, new fuel filter and new fuel pump about 10 months ago and it ran great. Ran great yesterday no problems for about 2 hours.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]i added new gas today, got out and went WOT no problem. As soon as I started letting the throttle down to slow down it started sputtering. Would idle just fine, and even light/half throttle it ran fine. But when I was about half throttle or higher it sputters, won't get up on RPMs, never dies though. I turned the key to turn it off and immediately started it back up and it ran fine even through WOT. But the minute I let it down on the throttle it sputtered again. Turned it off and restarted it and it went WOT fine again until i slowed down... and just keeps doing this.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I cant think of what is causing this that restarting fixes. Checked the fuel filter and its clean. Strained the fuel its good. Vent is good on the tank. It seems like a fuel delivery problem, but why does turning the key off fix it? Could I have gotten a bad fuel pump. Its had the vro replaced and uses premix now with the diaphragm pump. After it bogs, I can run about half throttle for as long as I want... but it will never go higher or it sputters. And the moment i turn it off and restart it, it goes WOT no problem until I throttle down again. [/FONT]

Yeah racerone... that was what I read on a few others threads where they were having similar stuff. You may have been one that advised it. It is going into SLOW mode. But it's peeing water strong. I took the thermostat off and it had small rubber pieces in it. Figured it was the impeller. I took the lower off and the impeller had no broken pieces. It was kinda curved when I took it out of the housing. So I am replacing the impeller and all that goes with it, im redoing the thermostat though it didnt look bad. I wasn't sure if it was not fully opening and the water wasn't actually going in and cooling the motor. Maybe that was causing the overheating? I decided since I have it apart and replace the temperature sensor and diode as I have read on this forum that those could be also because of a glitch to kick it into slow mode. Should get at it this weekend I believe, and cross my fingers when I take it out it has cured it

Well... I replaced the diode, temp sensor, thermostat, impeller and housing, and new Champion spark plugs. Good water flow out the pee hole. Took it out and still went into slow mode within minutes of being on the water. Temp gun shows it isnt overheating. Same deal, the moment I turn the ignition off and restart it resets and gets going... then hits slow mode pretty quickly. So I unplugged the tan wire under the power pack (which disables slow mode?) and it ran for an hour no issues. I dont want to make a habit of that. Any help? One additional thing. The VRO was taken off and diaphragm fuel pump installed (and a new one by me last week) and I premix. In case that brings any new light to this problem. What else could I be missing.. power pack? But I figured if that was it, turning the ignition off wouldnt reset it

Back