Logo

Flywheel/Timing

Hamster

I have run a search, haven't come with a good answer. I think it's a 1988, 60 HP, friends kids motor they purchased. I got called in late in the game, they had it running on Ether :eek: ,and then it wouldn't run at all, before I got called. Compression is okay for the age, I confirmed there is one bad coil. Fuel pump is currently disconnected, pumped up the bulb and had him crank it while holding pressure on it, nothing, tried WD-40, nothing. Put #1 cylinder at TDC, flywheel appears to be about 40 degrees after TDC. Do they have a Woodruff key that may have sheared? I found some parts diagrams and I don't see one, have not come across a press fit flywheel before. It does have a lock nut on the flywheel, if there is no key would you put #1 at TDC and line up to the 0 mark and torque it down? Hate to pull the flywheel if I don't need to. The Timing advance adjustments have not been messed with.

Thank you, literally asking for a friend!

I say the flywheel key is sheared.---That means timing is way off.----Assemble with tapers CLEAN and dry.---Torque to 102.5 FT-LB

That was my thought, so you're saying these do have a flywheel key? Appreciate the response and torque spec, likely would have been my next question!

Thank you sir, appreciate it! I'll go back with proper tools next week and confirm, his kids will be happy to have it running! I haven't really messed with any outboards since 1984, been a while...

No key. Pull flywheels (8 bolts) and align the top piston at TDC. Rotate the 'wheel until it alinges with the timing marks and bolt it on.

Jeff

I find it odd that it did run, and then nothing. I know they removed some of the wires at one point, I confirmed they were put back on correct, he had enough sense to take a picture first!

If it doesn't have a key and it spun on the crank, pulling the bolts on top won't guarantee it will line up when you go to put it back on, correct? Maybe I'll see if I can advance it far enough while cranking it over and go from there.

Back