Logo

Epoxy working time installing new transom

captainbobc

The transom wood is removed and the transom is ready to receive it's new plywood. I am concerned about the fast setting hardener kit that I have and having enough time to coat the inside of the fiberglass hull/transom and move the new wood into place. This is a 18' boat working from the inside. Temps inside the shop will be in the mid 70's.
Your thoughts?

Get a helper.---Put tools in place.-----Practice your moves to avoid wasted time.----Or get a slow hardener kit.

You can put the epoxy in a cooler until it's time to use it. Don't freeze it--just keep it about 40 to 50 ' F.

You'll need a low viscosity epoxy for this since it will get rather thick at low temperatures.

Jeff

As stated above, all great ideas. It is important that all of the wood you use on the entire boat be dry fitted.

Have someone keep stirring the epoxy to keep it from cooking off...if it gets hot it is useless. Mix it in a can within a can of crushed ice to cool it and extend its working time.

Use a small rectangular trowel to spread it quickly.

You have 4 bolt holes to use for clamping where the tiedown rings go.

L&L epoxy comes in either cool or hot weather blends and can be brushed on. It also makes epoxy putty to fill gaps when blended w/sifted sawdust.

Wedge two 2"X4"x8's in the bottom of the hull against the lower transom. A couple of concrete blocks will hold them in place.

Thanks to all that replied! All good ideas and thoughts. I will give it a go soon. My old transom wood had 2 layers of cloth sandwiched between the wood. I plan to do the same with the 1708 Biaxial Mat Cloth I bought if the thickness works out. My transom originally was 1-7/8" total including the 3/8" thick fiberglass transom outer skin. I am assuming it needs to be the same so the engine and outdrive connect the same.

Back