Logo

Motor swap help

Benculv

I currently have a 40HP 1993 Evinrude motor model E40ELETB on my tracker boat.
I have 70HP 1996 Evinrude motor model E70TLEDR that I want to put on in place of the 40HP.
My question is is it possible to use the existing controls that are on the boat for the 70hp.
They both have the red connector but I'm not sure about the other connections such as the oil tank level, Tach and tiller control in the front of the boat.
The 70hp electrical drawing I have from the repair manual does not seem to be correct to what I see on the motor.
The manual I have has a electrical drawings for many different motors so I may be looking at the incorrect one.
I am an electrician so I do know how to read schematics.
I do have the control box that was used on the 70 but I was hoping I didn't have to change everything.
If anyone can help me I would greatly appreciate it and if you need more information please let me know.

If the '93 harness is 4-wire at the VRO then they should be the same electrically. The shift and throttle cables should also be the same. At the helm the purple wire is 12V with key on and the gray wire is signal for the tach.

KJ

The 96 models used the newer style plug ins.----1995 was the last year for the big red plug.----Serial # on the powerhead the same as the transom bracket.

I got the motors swapped on the boat and I just need to get the controls connected.
The original 1193 40HP remote control cable red connector connects up to the red connector on the 70HP motor.
There is one more cable connector that does match up but the 70HP motor side has an additional wire.
I'm not sure what this is for and if there will be a problem with this.
Below are photos of the wires on the connector. The control side has four wires and the 70HP connector has 5 wires.
Can anyone tell me if this will be a problem.
I haven't tried power it up yet because I don't want to cause and damage if things are not correct.
1993_40HP control connector.jpg
1996_70HP motor side connector.jpg

I got the motors swapped on the boat and I just need to get the controls connected.
The original 1193 40HP remote control cable red connector connects up to the red connector on the 70HP motor.
There is one more cable connector that does match up but the 70HP motor side has an additional wire.
I'm not sure what this is for and if there will be a problem with this.
Below are photos of the wires on the connector. The control side has four wires and the 70HP connector has 5 wires.
Can anyone tell me if this will be a problem.
I haven't tried power it up yet because I don't want to cause and damage if things are not correct.
View attachment 27047
View attachment 27048
Those are tilt and trim wires. There should be wires coming out of the T/N/T motor and some coming out of the relays. If your 40 did not have tilt and trim you may need the separate harness for it.

Last edited:
Welcome aboard the forum.
Good advice. Also be sure to clean up those connections I see in the background.....any grounds and open posts. Be certain to get some anti seize on stuff and dielectric grease for your plugs.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the help. I did get it figured out and it's up and running with everything working. I still need to do some adjustment on the throttle linkage. I think what confused me is the model number shows that the 70 is a 1996 but the electrical drawings I had were different. From what I saw and what I read the connectors were changed in 96 but mine still had the red connector. The motor matched up with a 95 drawing. The extra wire on the TnT connector is for the trim sending unit from what I can tell. Thanks for the tip on the Tach pulses. I didn't think about that one. I did clean up the connections and used grease on the connectors. I think this motor may have set around a while before I got it. Again thanks and I may have some questions on the throttle linkage and idle adjustments.

So I have everything hooked up including the throttle and shift cables. The only thing I seem to have an issue with is the idle. I set the carburetor linkage as the service manual states. All of the carb butterflies are closed. The throttle cam is not touching the carb linkage roller and the motor is running about 1100 rpm. When I rebuilt the carbs the low speed idle screw on the carbs were just shy of 2.5 turns out. that is where I set them. I'm not sure if those screws are the reason my idle is high. Can anyone point me in a direction to look and see what the reason would be for the high idle speed.

Back