Logo

I think I need to adjust my throttle...

carboncow

Contributing Member
So late last summer we finally got my 1997 Pursuit 2460 in the water with a new long block. After chasing down a few pesky injectors I think we have a good running engine, but...

I run out of throttle.

This boat won't go over 3200RPM and about 30-31MPH and I've been scratching my head thinking the issue is fuel delivery. I haven't got a test gauge on the fuel system yet but it runs so well up to that point I'm skeptical of it being a fuel flow. I would expect a 330-350HP to make this a 45 MPH boat even if I don't need that much speed.

Once I runs out of "go" it's only a bit more movement in the throttle until it hits the max.

If there was a throttle cable issue (it's nice and smooth but probably original) would the adjustment needs be most likely on the injection linkage or in the shifter? What other wisdom can people share.

Ayuh,..... I'd sooner think it's runnin' outa gas,... Bad flow,....

What killed the old motor,..??

Ayuh,..... I'd sooner think it's runnin' outa gas,... Bad flow,....

What killed the old motor,..??

It doesn't stumble or struggle or cut out...just seems to have no more to give.

Would one need to get a pressure reading on system via the schrader at this higher load to see if pressure drops or is flow and pressure two different worlds in this instance? Or would a pressure reading at even a lower load give indication of the system not having enough for the higher demand?

Where I"m located getting techs out to ride on the boat isn't the easiest thing this time of year. I'm in a seasonal area where the big dollar clients rule the roost although I have one plan in a couple weeks to see if one tech might tech a spin with me most will easily tell you it will be a month (or two).

The engine had about 2200 salt water hours on it and was a bit low across most cylinders on PSI. As ugly as the engine looked on the outside it was pretty good on the inside other then the rings/pistons needed some love. On the tear down we found some repairable cracks (I believe they were in the head but I forget now) so we decided a new long block was the easier route.

First.... disconnect throttle cable at the "carb" and see if there is more movement of the lever on the injector linkage...IFSO adjust..Many throttle control heads have more than one hole on the lever that moves the throttle cable...move to hole closer to the end.
HOWEVER.... what rpms did you get before the rebuild???

Back