Logo

Installing OEM tilt trim on 48 SPL

PhilSch

Regular Contributor
I have posted before about my 1994 48 SPL which has the notoriously unreliable touch trim system that happens to be stuck in the down position. I got lucky to find a 1989 Johnson 50 for dirt cheap with a broken but repairable Tilt/Trim unit and am in the process of parting out the motor but am keeping Tilt/Trim components for possible installation on the 48.

The 50 horse came with all the needed wiring, relays, switch etc. I have read that some say the installation is not too hard to do yet some others recommend going third party Tilt/Trim. I am not going to spend the large $ for an aftermarket unit. If anyone has done an installation like this I would love to hear their opinions about the difficulty of such. BTW, I am not a professional but I am a pretty experienced mechanic and have a wide array of tools including an engine hoist, motor stand, torches etc.

Thanks!

Ok, I fixed the Touch Trim on the motor by forcing the motor up which allowed me access to remove and adjust cable. Three full rotations of the plastic snap connector on the threaded cable end did the trick.

So now I have a Power Tilt Trim unit for 1989 -1995 JohnnyRude 40/48/50 I don't need. I know these units are pretty rare and thus expensive especially since people have had so many troubles with the Touch Trim systems. I am going to sell it on Ebay but will wait a few days before listing just in case any members of this forum might want to buy it. The unit I have has a bad motor ($50 new on Ebay) and is missing a few other parts but over all it should make for a good unit that I will sell for only $300. I will be asking more than that on Ebay. If interested PM me.

Back