Logo

94 225 Evinrude Outboard - no spark cylinder 5

Bonisick

Hi -

Replaced power pack, coil and tried switching coils/plugs/wires but no spark in cylinder 5.

Could it be the magnets? Could it be the charging coil? Cleaned ground wire really good still nothing.

HELP!

This is at cranking... just testing spark. 5 of 6 with spark but no matter what I switch around (plugs, wires,etc) can’t get a spark in cylinder #5.

Could it be a bad Stator or a bad magnet? I would think the magnet would impact all cylinders not just #5? But I’ve read that the stator could impact just one cylinder... does anyone have the Ohms readings I should have for testing the stator (in addition to testing for ground at each wire)?

If its CDI brand junk see if connectors are fully inserted in amphenol connector. Never seen a stator effect a single cylinder, bank yes cylinder no. Stator charges pack, timer base tells it to fire. I have see a single cylinder not fire at cranking but start firing when engine is running. This is due to low voltage triggering SCR in pack. Check it running also.

Thanks have it running now and all 6 have fire.

Question: Do those engines require electric fuel pump from tanks to run properly? I have a temp gas tank with gravity feed and they seem to be running great? Also, what compression level do you suggest a rebuild… all cylinders sitting at 100-100 right now.

Lastly question on fuel primer for cold start - should the primer lines have fuel coming out of them when attempting to start…or is it a vacuum only for that primer pump… even when I remove the lines from carbs after running does not seem like much fuel is in them?

Last edited:
Sorry one more question… that primer on fuel line does not appear to be working even after rebuild… pulled off the lines going into the carb with it running and don’t see any fuel coming out? I would think I should see fuel at least in the lines if the primer was working correctly?

Back