Logo

Honda 40 hp fault codes

jimbull34

Does anyone know or have the fault codes for a honda 40 hp? The lights say its a 36 code., three long lights followed by 6 quick lights.. The engine will run for 15-20 minutes then shut down and will not start until cool...been thru the whole fuel system including a new low pressure pump, no change..

When they shut down and won't restart until cooled, that would hint at a water temp issue, no?

Have you been through that system? Do you have an infra red temp gauge available to check it's temp in a few areas?

I agree it does hint to a overheat situation, but, the engine will kill when I open the throttle up not in gear. I thought it was a fuel problem because it would start to riv up at times before dying. Ive replaced the low pressure pump, all new fuel lines, by passed the fuel filter, which was new, even put an electric pump on the line, still the same...just need to find out what the fault code 36 is...I think!!!

I agree it does hint to a overheat situation, but, the engine will kill when I open the throttle up not in gear. I thought it was a fuel problem because it would start to riv up at times before dying. Ive replaced the low pressure pump, all new fuel lines, by passed the fuel filter, which was new, even put an electric pump on the line, still the same...just need to find out what the fault code 36 is...I think!!!

OK, just replaced the water pump, the temp sensors and the thermostat. The impeller was not all that bad, a few scratches on the bottom plate, but over all not bad, however the thermostat was totally encrusted and non functioning as was the top temp sensor, the bottom sensor appears to be ok. Started it, it ran good when I bumped the speed up the pee hole shot water out very forcefully, has not been like that at all. So I think the problem is solved, going to the bay tomorrow and we'll see,,,

Back