Logo

Project 10022

James in Canada

Regular Contributor
My 1961 Evinrude 10hp seems to be getting water in the gearbox turning my oil into a chocolate milk shake.
Bummer.
The power head runs great so I would like to save this engine from the scrap heap.

No oil leaks from the output seal:

IMG_20210531_132415201.jpg

My theory is the water is getting in through the seal under the water pump.
Water here is under a small amount of pressure.

IMG_20210531_133922899.jpg

Here is the drive shaft at the upper bushing and seal and at the lower bushing:

IMG_20210531_141053649.jpg

IMG_20210531_141131462.jpg

There is some scoring where the seal rides and some wear at the bushings.
And here is the upper seal/bushing:

IMG_20210531_141404357.jpg

IMG_20210531_141458549.jpg

I know the pictures are a poor substitute for having these parts in your own hands.

I was not able to remove the screws to disassemble the rest of the gearbox.

Should I just stick in a new upper seal and call it a day?
Should I be looking for a new gearbox?
Should I get this gearbox rebuilt by someone who knows what they are doing?
Would it be worth it?

Thanks everyone!

Looks typical for a motor that has been run with some water in the oil, but should be ok after resealing. Another common leak point is the shift rod seal, and it has to come apart to change that. Might as well bite the bullet and change all the seals. Those screws WILL come out. You need a hand impact screwdriver to loosen them----the kind with a bit that rotates when you swat it with a hammer.

@fdrgator I know the tool you mean. Unfortunately I don't have one at the moment.

I bought this engine a few years ago for $200. Only ran it once until this season.
Guess the previous owner ran it like that for who knows how long...

Thanks!

Here is a question:
Part # 10, 11, and 12 in the gearbox parts list...where do they go?
I'm not sure my gearbox has these parts.

*never mind, I found it*

Last edited:
So I'm looking for a replacement gearbox for this engine. is there a compatibility chart somewhere, or does anyone remember off the top of their heads, what HP and Years have compatible gearbox with 10022?

Thanks

There is a QD-23A, which I believe is a 1962 Johnson. It’s in Scarborough, asking $170, I’m sure you could pick it up for less.
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=1572197451

Thank you for the information. Unless I knew the gearcase was in excellent condition and not been run with water in the oil like the one
I have now, I would not be any better off. I'm still undecided as to what to do with this engine, whether to fix or just sell.

Project update:

After replacing the gasket and seal under the water pump, no more water in the oil.
Success!

Thank you everyone for your helpful advice.
This 60 year old engine is still going strong.

Back