Logo

Old Evinrude aftermarket recommendations

shinola

Contributing Member
Curious what the collective experience of the members here would be. What aftermarket brands have you had the best luck with for some of the common replaceable items? Are OMC/Evinrude parts always superior? Most of my projects are 55-58, 7.5-18hp Evinrudes.

1. Coils
2. Condensers
3. Points
4. Plugs
5. Wires.... Are there wire assemblies available that cover 7.5-18 hp models? I think I saw some a while back but cant' find it any more.
6. carb kits.

Thanks.
Brian

1. Coils.........the green german ones(Prufrex)
2. Condensers.......OEM
3. Points......OEM....if not tagged made in Italy or Turkey return em
4. Plugs.....Champion
5. Wires.... Any solid core copper
6. carb kits.....OEM or EMP..the Serria brand sometimes the gasket material is to thin to seal bowl and nozzle

Is there an aftermarket wire assembly that comes pre-assembled with boot and connector? I think I once saw one when searching on the site for parts, but I can't find it anymore. I think it came in sets of 10 or 20 pre-made wires that were just to be cut to length and installed.

Not sure on that wire question....I make my own. Impellers are synthetic rubber now.....about 10 year life with the best ones. Try to find the hubs made of brass alloy. I have Johnson and Evinrude from the 50's....took them apart to check impellers..... original stuff, still perfect....put em back together. Depends on how they are stored.

Searching on this site, I find 580118 part number (for a '55 7.5hp) has a "green" aftermarket coil by CDI. Is this the Prufrex German coil mentioned above? If not, where would I find that one?

thanks.

Back