Logo

Bravo 3 drive shaft

wireland8

I am having a heck of a time getting the drive shaft on my Bravo 3 outdrive to insert into the engine coupler. The drive shaft is new and I have a new gimbal bearing and gear oil ring installed. I used the alignment tool to ensure a straight line through. I inserted the drive shaft and it fit fine through the bearings ok and then I couldn't move it any farther. I have been trying for two days to get the last INCH into the coupler. I mean the bolts all fit through their holes and just get to the end of the bolt hole and it stops. I've watched Eddy from Long Island Boat Club on Youtube and he makes it look easy but it ain't. Any help would be much appreciated.

why did you change the driveshaft?
do you have the old one? if so, and the splines are good, see if it will slide ll the way in.
also look ath tre coupler, make sure the splines are not damaged.

how easy does the alignment tool spin when installed?
it should be able to spin with 2 fingers
i have had units get stuck when the o rings go through the gimbal bearing, if you take the o rings off and slide the unti in all the way, you know all is well and you jist need to "persuade " the o rings past the gimbal.
why did you change the driveshaft?
do you have the old one? if so, and the splines are good, see if it will slide ll the way in.

the old drive shaft was rusted solid. The bellows failed and let water in. I have the old one. The splines are in good shape (none broken or worn down). The coupler is good, no broken or worn splines. I fitted the old drive shaft into the coupler with ease, same for the alignment tool. It spins easily. however, there is a bit of movement in the gimbal bearing if I move the alignment tool around. I've been centering the alignment tool, pulling it out, and trying to place the drive shaft in
Haven't tried doing it without the o ring.
I actually got the drive shaft into the coupler. I had to pull it back out when the shift cable did not connect to the shift coupling (another story, short answer DO NOT GET AFTERMARKET PARTS FOR KEY ITEMS.)

Back