Logo

Outboard Mounting Bolts/Nuts - Stainless and Bronze?

SoCalAngler

Regular Contributor
Adding two (upper and lower) Bob's Machine Transom Support Plates (1/4" cold rolled alum plates).

Need longer bolts.

Honda sells OEM mounting bolts as follows:

From 1998.....stainless bolts (SS) (12X100) and metric SS nuts. Expensive at $21 per bolt and $9 per nut!!

They also sell a kit using American specs..... 4 SS bolts 1/2" X 13 pitch and 8 Naval Bronze nuts (2 nuts per bolt to use as jam nuts in lieu of lock nuts. $42 for the kit.

Any preference here other than price?
I'm sure they use double bronze nuts to avoid thread galling/seizing that can happen with SS nuts on SS bolts.

NOTE: My current bolts use single bronze lock nuts on lowers... and single SS lock nuts on uppers

I’d buy stainless bolts and nuts and flat washers, I use 4200 to seal the holes and it likely keeps things tight enough so nuts can’t work loose. Have never had any issues with them coming loose of the nuts galling.

Another vote for stainless.
A trip to the hardware should be able to produce 1/2 stainless bolts (any length you need) and lock nuts.

Part prices for modern machinery includes huge factory , warehouse overhead and shipping costs.----But it will be the correct nut and bolt.------So yes----You can visit the local nut / bolt supply and get them for pennies so to speak

It sounds like you're in need of some specific wheels for your trailer. Finding replacement parts for older equipment can sometimes be a challenge, but there are a few options to consider.

Check with the manufacturer: If the trailer is a 1971 Hoosier, it's worth reaching out to the manufacturer to see if they have any replacement parts available, or if they can point you in the direction of a supplier that carries the parts you need.

Contact a marine supply store: Many marine supply stores carry a variety of boat and trailer parts, including wheels. They may be able to help you find the specific wheels you need, or point you in the direction of a supplier that carries them.

Look for used wheels: You can also try searching for used wheels on online marketplaces such as Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace, or eBay. Be sure to inspect the condition of the wheels and tires before purchasing, and ask the seller if they have any information about the wheels' history.

Check with a local boat repair shop or marina: They may have experience with older boat trailers and may know of a source for the wheels you need.

It's also a good idea to check with local tire shops as they may have experience working with split rim wheels, and may have solutions for you to get the tubeless wheels you prefer.

I hope these suggestions help you find the wheels you need for your trailer. Good luck!

Back