Logo

1998 BF50AW - Mounting Bolts Torque Specs?

SoCalAngler

Regular Contributor
I have checked my Honda OEM service manual as well as the Honda Owner's Manual.......

I am unable to find the specs on the four mounting bolts that bolt stern bracket to transom (bolts that mount outboard to transom).

I also googled and found nothing.

Where can I find these specs?

Thanks

I would be less concerned about torque and concentrate more on the squeeze. It seems to me that security with the mounting bracket is more about what your transom will take than anything else. That and fastener locking.

I mean, wood vs. fiberglass vs. aluminum vs. steel, presents different ways of approaching the same problem.. You don't want to crush a transom made of soft material and you could probably just use a nominal torque spec for steel.

My experience with soft transoms is that they will change over time and a vigilant skipper will often check that the transom mounts haven't worked loose.

Just my 2 pennys.

Good luck.

I'll put 2 more pennies with the 2 pennies above. It's kind of a judgement call. "Snug" is how I would put it. Watch the material on the inside of the transom. If it start deforming/squishing, stop!

got it....since I'm adding an upper and lower 1/4" cold rolled alum plates, it should snug tighter than before (only stainless washers were on bolts) and spread the load over a wider area. When I removed the nuts, they were probably at 20ft lb.

Well, I completed this job. Upper and lower transom plates and new 316SS nuts, bolts and washers. Tightened based on feel. They are tighter than what was removed. The plates helped spread the load very well.

Had to remove fuel tank, fuel filter, plumbing, etc.

Went ahead and epoxied all bolts holes, as they go through transom which is plywood. Used Boat Life calk on all bolts.

Sounds like a job well done.
Congratulations on getting that accomplished!
Now....
....try to have some fun before the the next "fix" requirement pops up

You know...B. O. A . T.....
An appropriate acronym for:

Bust Out Another Tool!

And other old sayings;>)

Thank you for the update!

Sounds like a job well done.
Congratulations on getting that accomplished!
Now....
....try to have some fun before the the next "fix" requirement pops up

You know...B. O. A . T.....
An appropriate acronym for:

Bust Out Another Tool!

And other old sayings;>)

Thank you for the update!

Back