Logo

Is there an ignition control module on 2.3liter Ford omc cobra tko?

MNJOEL

We know next to nothing of boats. So forgive me. 2nd bayliner, first inboard. Hasn't run properly since purchase. 1988, 86 hours with 2.3litre Ford omc cobra tko. Guy let it sit for too long. Had in with 2 marine mechanics. Got stranded after they 'fixed' it both times. New water pump, carb kit, new coil. I've told them several times the issue but no one wants to test on water. Dies after about 15 min. Coil extremely hot to touch even the new one. Asked gear head neighbor and he suggested ignition module. Purchased what I thought was the correct one and I can't see it easily anywhere and it's nearly impossible to find a diagram without purchasing the whole manual. Please help.
Joel

As long as no one removed the points and put in a Pertronix, it is a points and condenser system. Very easy to repair. But its such old technology that most current mechanics are not familiar with them, you have to have grown up in the 60s and 70s to know points ignitions. These do have an ESA module that is for the shift system, to lower the engine idle speed to make it shift to neutral, but that is seperate from the ignition system.

Back