Logo

2000 Merc I/O Alpha throttle Cable adjustment?

moondrifter

Regular Contributor
When trolling and need a small increase in throttle, there is a lot of play (slack} in the throttle handle before the speed increases. The handle also has to overcome the slack before slowing the motor. I tried to tighten the holding screw on the handle. All that did was make the handle harder to move. Something has changed over the years because it was more precise when new.
Is there a way to take the slack out of the cable at the engine without creating another problem?
Thanks
Moondrifter

you can likely remove some of the slack by spinning the barrel on the cable...but you need to make sure the throttle plate(s) closes when the shifter is back in N...you also need to make sure the throttle plates are fully opened when the shifter is at WOT....

Its possible that the cable is also worn and due for replacement...

"""I tried to tighten the holding screw on the handle. All that did was make the handle harder to move.""

Please clarify this statement.

The set screw that secures the handle to the splined shift control shaft, when the handle is in the correct position and the set screw is tightened should NOT have any affect on how the shift mechanism moves (easier or more resistance).

Can you post a picture of your control handle/set up?

Yes, most if not all have this.
It is as you described, FRICTION adjustment.
It is not for handle slop/play or cable issues.
It is designed to add enough friction so throttle lever stays where you move it to. If too loose the throttle will slowly move back towards idle....

Again, a picture of you shift control will help us understand what you are working with!

Back