Logo

Camshaft and lifters replace

luhrs_40

Contributing Member
1989 crusader 454 i have to replace camshaft and lifters
My question is are the original cam and lifters are available?
Or do i have to do with the roller camshaft and lifters?
If i go with the rollers do i have to replace the rocker arms and push rods?
Also best place to buy from?

they are still available though they get harder to find every year...and buy the aftermarket parts as GM stopped providing the OEM versions a while ago. Worst case is to get a cam grinder to make one custom. Try Melling 22217 and 22218, depending upon your rotation...

you can go to roller lifters but not necessary - and the rockers and pushrods usually don't care which lifters move them.

'best place' is driven by your criteria...the good news is the internet is your friend there.

looking at the lift and duration, I think you would be hard pressed to distinguish them...only thing I would check is the drive type required...the LH engines use the chain drives...

By the way does anyone knows if the ports on the 1989 454s
are oval or square?
Need to order the parts before i take the engine apart

if you are referring to the intake ports, they are typically described a peanut ports and they use the 'oval' gaskets set...

I’m not sure on the big blocks but on the small block V6 & V8s when they went to the roller cam the block casting was changed to incorporate 2 (V6) or 3 (V8) bosses to retain bolts that down the “cage” that aligns the roller lifters. I have heard of aftermarket conversions but it’s probably easiest to go back with what you have. Just make sure it’s a marine came with low overlap so you don’t have reversion issues (sucking water up the exhaust due to vacuum developing in the exhaust).

The Factory BBC's went to roller cams with the GenV introduction. They make conversion kits for the Mark IVs but they aren't cheap and the lifters usually come with the links to keep them aligned.

The Factory BBC's went to roller cams with the GenV introduction. They make conversion kits for the Mark IVs but they aren't cheap and the lifters usually come with the links to keep them aligned.

FWIW, I don't believe the roller engines started until the Mark VI (or gen VI) 454s. The L29s, (MPI injection) I believe, are the first roller block. The TBI Gen V's are generally hydraulic flat tappet.

Back