Logo

Volvo Penta 5.7L PEFS (boat year 2001 - engine year 2000) - No Fuel pump or alarm on start

kbielat

[FONT=&quot]Theboat started and ran fine at the close of last year.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]When I go to start it, it turns over strong but will not start. Two distinct things are missing:[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1. no fuel pump priming[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2. no alarm test sound on start[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]So far I have tried:[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1. I checked all the fuses. [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2. The outdrive trims up and down strong. (suggesting goodbattery and voltage)[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3. I cleaned the fuel pump relays[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]4. I changed out the fuel pump relays with the trim relays(trim still works strong)[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]5. I have checked for voltage at pins 86 and 30 on fuelrelay slots (good)[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]6. I have tested for continuity between pin 87 on fuelrelay slot and fuel pumps (good)[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]7. I powered pins 87 (fuel pump relay slot) with my powerprobe 3 - fuel pumps made noise[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]8. I changed the Engine Coolant Temperature Switch -(no help)[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Code Scan tools are expensive, so I was going to try thisapproach I found on youtube:[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woawMujBpFY[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Is there a belter way to read the DTC codes?[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I was going to replace the Oil Pressure switch but I can't findit. Does anyone no where it's located? I found the oil pressuresender but not the switch.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Any help with trouble shooting this would be greatlyappreciated.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Thank you, [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Kevin[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Theboat started and ran fine at the close of last year.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]When I go to start it, it turns over strong but will not start. Two distinct things are missing:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1. no fuel pump priming[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2. no alarm test sound on start[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]So far I have tried:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1. I checked all the fuses. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2. The outdrive trims up and down strong. (suggesting goodbattery and voltage)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3. I cleaned the fuel pump relays[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]4. I changed out the fuel pump relays with the trim relays(trim still works strong)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]5. I have checked for voltage at pins 86 and 30 on fuelrelay slots (good)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]6. I have tested for continuity between pin 87 on fuelrelay slot and fuel pumps (good)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]7. I powered pins 87 (fuel pump relay slot) with my powerprobe 3 - fuel pumps made noise[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]8. I changed the Engine Coolant Temperature Switch -(no help)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Code Scan tools are expensive, so I was going to try thisapproach I found on youtube:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woawMujBpFY[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Is there a belter way to read the DTC codes?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I was going to replace the Oil Pressure switch but I can't findit. Does anyone no where it's located? I found the oil pressuresender but not the switch.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Any help with trouble shooting this would be greatlyappreciated.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Thank you, [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Kevin[/FONT]

you can use the test light approach - it should work fine for the MEFI-4 that should be on that engine.

Your testing of the fuel pump circuit wasn't complete....the ecu lead closes to ground to engage the relay which excites the pump - and you tested the last part.

you can use a fuel pressure gauge to ensure the pump makes adequate pressure with the fuel pump powered...

the oil pressure switches are typically in one of the oil galley plugs; where the oil filter adapter mounts to the block...the sender unit is typically on top of the block...

either way, it would be good to search the www and find one of the MEFI-4 manuals that are readily available...

and be advised that not everything the engine nneds is under the ECU's control (or even monitored)....

Back