Logo

Speedometer pickup in lower unit plugged

guyjg

Gold Medal Contributor
The speedometer tested good with low air pressure test. Tested the air hose from the speedometer to the lower unit connection...no blockage. The down tube in the LU appears to be plugged with debris. I used 100 PSI compressed air and only a wisp of air and a few drops of water came out of the small hole on the front of the LU gearbox case. Any idea to clean out the air/water pressure passage besides dropping the lower unit? Thanks.

Ayuh,..... You can try a small drill bit, in yer hand,....[I tried a stiff wire the size of a large paper clip and it only made the nose cone hole more visible. It went in about 1/8". I bent the tip a little but it would not maneuver in and upward.]

With the lower drive off for impellor change, I tried a coat hanger down the tube and drill bit in the pitot with little luck. Air compressor (100psi) was barely pushing water through. With the drive still off the boat, I used a pressure washer at full jet in the pitot and finally had water push through with good volume. Will test out this weekend, but was clearer after the pressure washer than before.

The purple cleaner helped some. With cleaner in the pick up tube I applied compressed air at the small pick up hole and had some foam and bubbles rising in the clear fill tube I used. I hope that the tiny pick up hole can produce enough pressure to the speedometer. What do you boys think?

I also tried a coat hanger down the tube and drill bit in the pick up hole. I also used 100psi air in both directions but very little happened. I was thinking of using a pressure washer from the outside into the pickup hole; we'll see what happens.

Last edited:
After soaking the PU tube w/purple power I fired up the pressure washer. I used the 0 degree tip and pointed it on the small PU hole and all of a sudden I had a fountain coming out of the top of the PU tube. Fantastic success. Onto the next problem. Thanks everybody.

Back