Logo

AQ280 shifting

mrnkc130

I have my 1978 Sea Ray SRV240 pretty much ready to go after an extensive engine and floor rebuild but im having a slight issue with shifting. Due to weather I havent put it in the water yet (hopefully this week i will be able to) but I believe i have an issue with shifter adjustment.

What is the process or does anyone have link for how to adjust this correctly?

Seems to shift ok into forward and actuate the throttle, but it isnt going into neutral until the shifter is probably 2/3 of the way back (ie not in the middle and difficult to judge) and i also noticed when shifting in reverse it applies no throttle so all i'll have is idle in reverse. I figured i could just shift the outdrive to neutral and the shifter to neutral and then connect the linkage adjusted to the position but that hasnt seemed to work for me.

thanks!

280 outdrive
SBC 350 and original volvo penta controls

The procedure starts on page 127 of the 280 Drive OEM shop manual.... PM me your email address if you need a copy...

You may however have issues with the control head and/or shift cable anchor clips either at the control end or the drive..

Last edited:
I adjusted everything and it shifts just fine now, although less throttle in reverse than im used to with other boats, just barely above idle.

on a side note the boat ran poorly, would only make about 15mph and backfired on deceleration at times. I dont have a functioning tachometer but , also seemed to be running very rich. I believe I may have an intake or carb vacuum leak. Made some repairs last week but it was too rainy and stormy here in texas to try it again this weekend, hopefully ive got it right this time!

Back